Monday, February 1, 2010

Improve your guitar skills faster by playing socially

A challenge for many musicians is staying motivated. To be a successful guitarist requires daily practice for years. Guitar is not like riding a bike. Guitar is more like fitness. Use it or lose it as they say. So how do we stay motivated to practice? The best way I believe is to either build or become involved in a community of local musicians. When I was a teen learning guitar my teacher put me in contact with other kids of a similar level of skill. We would jam on Sundays usually. Sometimes it went well and other times not so good but overall it motivated me to practice. If I performed poorly I would go home and practice harder than usual. On the days it went well I felt my practice was paying off. Either way I was inspired to practice more.

In no time at all we were playing gigs (and getting paid to do so which was really just a bonus). It was the connection to other musicians in my neighbourhood that pushed and inspired me to keep improving and eventually go pro. I see many students who play guitar but not in a social way. They are looking to improve their playing by isolating themselves in the hope of one day surprising the world and as a result they don't play socially. Almost all great musicians mix it up with others. Regular jams should be a part of weekly routine. Music is like language. Making conversation is the best way to improved your range.

David Hart - Program Director

Become a G4 GUITAR FAN on FACEBOOK.
http://bit.ly/G4FACEBOOK

Visit the G4GUITAR METHOD Website
www.g4guitar.com.au
Ph:0405-274456

No comments: