Wednesday, August 15, 2012

5 misconceptions about learning guitar. No. 2.

People with short fingers don't make good guitar players. I distinctly remember as a teen people commenting on the size of Jimi Hendrix's hands. To a naive beginner with average fingers playing Hendrix style guitar seemed impossible. This affected me so much so that I didn't even bother with Hendrix at the time and just put him in the too hard basket. At 17 I met my teacher who was a small guy with small hands yet played guitar better than anyone I had ever seen. I soon came to recognize many examples of guitarists with small or even disadvantaged hands who were awesome guitar players. Django Reinhardt is considered one of the greatest guitar players of all time and he only had two and half fingers to work with. Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath also lost a finger in an accident. I can assure you that small hands or short fingers have little to do with your ability to play great guitar.

www.g4guitarmethod.com

No comments: